Brewers outfielder Lorenzo Cain opts out of 2020 seasonThe Kansas City Star — By Pete Grathoff The Kansas City Star
Aug. 01-- While the future of the 2020 Major League Baseball season remains tenuous, Brewers outfielder Lorenzo Cain already has decided to hang up his cleats this year.
"Lorenzo Cain has informed us that he will not participate for the remainder of the 2020 season," the Brewers said in a statement. "We fully support Lorenzo's decision, and will miss his talents on the field and his leadership in the clubhouse."
Cain, who was part of the Royals' 2015 World Series championship team, batted .333 in five games this year.
Milwaukee's season is on hold. The Brewers game Friday night against St. Louis was postponed after two Cardinals players tested positive for COVID-19.
On Saturday, Major League Baseball said one more St. Louis player and multiple staff members tested positive prompting the postponement of Saturday's Cardinals-Brewers game.
The outbreak in the Cardinals organization comes days after the Marlins had 20 members test positive for COVID-19, causing Miami's games this week against the Orioles and Nationals to be postponed.
The Marlins had been in Philadelphia last week and the Phillies also haven't had games this week as a precaution.
ESPN reported Major League Baseball has told its national television partners to have alternate programming ready as early as Monday should the league shut down.
It's under this backdrop that Cain, 34, decided to step away from the game. Cain and his wife, Jenny, have three sons.
"With all the uncertainty and unknowns surrounding our game at this time, I feel that this is the best decision for me, my wife and our three kids," Cain said in a statement released by the Brewers.
Cain, a two-time All-Star who won a Gold Glove a year ago, is walking away from nearly $6 million in salary.
(c)2020 The Kansas City Star (Kansas City, Mo.)
Visit The Kansas City Star (Kansas City, Mo.) at www.kansascity.com
Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.